I've been on holidays for the past fortnight or so on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland (the Sunshine State - is Tasmania called the 'Rain State'!?) and this is the view I had from where I was staying.
As you can appreciate it's nigh impossible to sit indoors and write when a view like that is constantly beckoning and the weather is always like it is.
It's no accident that nearly all of the good Australian comedy comes out of Melbourne. . .
As this is the year that I hit that grand milestone of a half century on planet Earth, I thought it was prudent to pause, take stock and put down in writing what it is I know to be true.
A sort of statement of faith, as it were.
So . . . here goes:
- God (as revealed in the 66 books of the bible) is the creator and sustainer of the universe and everything in it. Job 12:10, Isaiah 45:18, Acts 17:24-28.
- God is totally sovereign and in control over all of His creation. Everything that happens in this world is because God commands it, wills it or permits it. Psalm 135:6, Isaiah 45:7, Isaiah 46:9-10, Daniel 4:35, Acts 17:26, James 4:13-15.
- The Bible is inspired, inerrant and infallible. Psalm 138:2, 2 Timothy 3:16.
- We live in a fallen, sin soaked world that has rejected its creator en masse, gone its own way and is therefore facing His wrath and judgement. Isaiah 59:2, Romans 2:5-11, Romans 3:23,
- God in His love became the man Jesus Christ who lived a sinless perfect life, died in my place under the full fury of the holy wrath of God so that He could forgive me, make me His adopted son, give me eternal life and fellowship forever with Him. Romans 3:23-26, Romans 5:18-19, 2 Corinthians 5:21, 1 John 2:2, Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:4-7.
- Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life, has been physically resurrected from the dead and is now reigning at the right hand of God the Father. John 14:6, Romans 6:9-10, Acts 4:12, 1 Timothy 2:5-6, Ephesians 1:19-22.
- God chose me I did not choose Him so He will keep me until the end. John 6:39-40, John 6:44, John 10:27-30, Romans 8:28-32, Ephesians 1:4-6, Philippians 1:6.
- Jesus is coming back as Lord and King for His people and to judge the earth. Matthew 13:47-50, Matthew 24:30-31, Matthew 25:31-46, John 14:2-3, Acts 10:42, Acts 17:31, 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17, Revelation 22:12.
- There will be a new heavens and a new earth in an eternal state. Isaiah 65:17-25, Revelation 21:1, Revelation 21:5.
- Some will spend eternity in hell and some will spend eternity in the new heavens and the new earth in the presence of God. Revelation 20:11-15, Revelation 21:3-4, Revelation 21:6-8, Revelation 21:27, Revelation 22:1-5.